DR. DERRICK DESLANDES
President; College of Agriculture, Science and Education (CASE)
Dr. Derrick Deslandes can be considered a thoughtful and dynamic academic who constantly strives to align a pragmatic business mindset with the research oriented and focused nature of academia in any activity undertaken never being constrained by the proverbial box. Imaginative and driven, with more than 20 years of teaching experience at the University of the West Indies and at the Florida State University, and more than 20 years of consulting experience both in the private and public sector. Highlights include:
- Developed a number of BSc and MSc programmes at UWI
- Develop the marketing case in the merger between CIBC and Barclays Bank
- Develop the framework for the merger of the Town Planning Department, National Resource Conservation Authority
- Active participation in the Jamaica public sector modernization programmes
- Developed the framework for the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus’s expansion into Montego Bay
- Developed and implemented the National Irish Potato Production Programme
- The development of the Agropark programme
Dr. Deslandes is a graduate of the University of the West Indies’ Management Studies, Northwestern University’s Kellogg Graduate School of Management, and Florida State University’s Business School, and has received numerous scholarships and bursaries throughout his academic life.
He is an accomplished lecturer, and has taught International Business/Marketing/Consumer Behavior /Marketing Research on a number of MBA programmes in Jamaica.
He has published and presented papers on foreign direct investment, country branding, destination choice and destination image both within the region and internationally.
He currently sits on the boards of the Council of Community Colleges of Jamaica, the Sugar Industry Authority, the Tourism Linkage Network, and the Jamaica Peel Company.
On secondment from UWI, he has now taken on the task of transforming the College of Agriculture, Science and Education (CASE) into a vibrant and strong applied research institution to fully support the GOJ’s Agricultural thrust.
Dr. Deslandes is driven by a strong belief in the capacity of Jamaicans to work together to achieve greatness.