Marcia Yvette Gilbert-Roberts, CD, DCSG, JP
Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Kingston, Jamaica
Ambassador Gilbert-Robert’s primary passion is to ensure that the Jamaican Foreign Service makes an effective contribution to the attainment of national development goals, by building stronger linkages between Jamaica and the rest of the world in respect of trade, social and economic development, political dialogue as well as cultural exchanges.
Inspired by her personal maxim, “I am just an ordinary person, committed to doing an extraordinary job”, some of her significant achievements include roles as Chief Negotiator for ACP in the revision of the Cotonou Partnership Agreement (2010), periodic leadership of negotiations on commodities, restructuring of the Jamaican Foreign Service, good offices roles in political dialogue between states, leadership of ACP Observer Mission to elections. Her voluntary service focuses on human development projects, support for charitable causes and public speaking engagements.
- 2016 ~ Senior Adviser to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade; Coordinator of the Commission to Review Jamaica’s Relations within the CARICOM and CARIFORUM Framework: Member of the National Commission for UNESCO
- 2007 – 2011 Ambassador to the Kingdom of Belgium, to the French Republic, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, the Principality of Monaco & the Kingdom of The Netherlands, the Republic of Portugal, the Kingdom of Spain, the European Union, and Permanent Delegate to UNESCO.
- 2002 – 2007: Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany, with nonresident accreditation to Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Switzerland, Holy See, Israel and Permanent Representative to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- 1998 – 2002: Under-Secretary, Foreign Service Operations Division – Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Foreign Trade
- 1996 -1998: Director, International Organizations Department – Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Foreign Trade
Director, Inspectorate – Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Foreign Trade
- 1991 – 1996:Deputy High Commissioner – Jamaican High Commission, London
- 1986 – 1991: Deputy Director, Foreign Trade Department & Deputy Director Political Affairs Department – Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Foreign Trade
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Foreign Languages and History – University of the West Indies, Jamaica
Master of Arts Degree in Psycholinguistics – University of Besançon, France
Specialized training in Management of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Issues – United Kingdom and Jamaica
- 2002 ~ Appointment as Justice of the Peace & Lay Magistrate – Jamaica
- 2005 ~ Conferral of Pontifical Knighthood – Dame Grand Cross of the Order of St. Gregory The Great (DCSG) for contribution to international relations
- 2011 ~ Conferral of Jamaican National Honour – Order of Distinction in the Rank of Commander
- 2013 ~ Chairperson of the Hall of Fame Committee of the Wolmer’s Trust High Schools