Senator the Honourable Kamina Johnson Smith, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade will next week welcome to Jamaica His Excellency Dr. Luis Videgaray Caso, Foreign Secretary of Mexico.
Secretary Videgaray will pay a Working Visit to Jamaica from March 5-6. On Tuesday, March 6, he will engage in discussions with his counterpart, Minister Johnson Smith, on current and future developments in the Jamaica-Mexico bilateral relationship, as well as on recent regional political developments.
In addition, Foreign Secretary Videgaray will pay a Courtesy Call on the Most Honourable Andrew Holness Prime Minister, hold discussions with the Minister of Science Energy and Technology and meet with high-level officials from the Economic Growth Council (EGC) and JAMPRO.
Minister Johnson Smith noted that “The momentum of Jamaica/Mexico relations had a significant boost in 2016 through our Bi-national Commission meeting in Mexico City and our celebration of fifty years of diplomatic relations in both our capital cities. This visit will strengthen the cooperation our countries have been working on since then.”
The Minister advised that matters for discussion will include:
- The Mexico-Jamaica Binational Commission;
- Bilateral cooperation projects in agriculture, education, technology; culture and the energy sector
- New cooperation areas;
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Recent regional political developments;
- Climate change and the Mexican-CARICOM Comprehensive Disaster Risk Management Strategy