Select Page

Getting Married in Jamaica

NOTE: (a) Please ensure that the wedding planners make arrangements for the legalisation of your marriage certificate before it leaves Jamaica (b) the document that you receive on the day of your marriage is not your official marriage certificate. You will have to apply for the official marriage certificate at the Registrar General’s Department at using the information on the document you were given by the official who conducted your wedding ceremony.
Foreigners can get married in Jamaica 48 hours after arriving in Jamaica. This requires some advanced preparation, including showing certain documents (originals and translation if not in English).

Documentation (Mandatory)

  • Proof of citizenship – certified copy of birth certificate which includes father’s name
  • Written consent from parent(s) with proof of identity of parent(s) if under 18 years of age
  • Proof of divorce (if applicable) – original certificate of divorce
  • Certified copy of death certificate of former spouse you are a widow or widower

For further information, please go to